Table of Contents
In the field of human health and medicine, professionals simply cannot afford to make compromises in the tools that they use. One of the worst things that can happen in an emergency situation is for vital equipment to fail; this would definitely leave even the most experienced personnel frustrated, or even rattled at worst.
Stethoscopes are one of the most used pieces of equipment that medical professionals use, no matter what field they specialize in. This is especially the case in pediatrics, where doctors have to be as accurate as they can be in making proper diagnosis. One miscalculation may lead to a mistake which has consequences that would last a literal lifetime.
With that being said, it is no wonder that pediatricians are absolutely uncompromising in their choices in tools, especially stethoscopes. While the usual routine is to check all aspects of the device before actually making a purchase, it’s also important to consider the actual manufacturer.
Littmann is a solid player among other manufacturers that build and distribute stethoscopes. Buying a stethoscope that bears the Littman standard is a definite investment which would last the buyer many years down the line.
The 3M Littman Classic II Infant Stethoscope is one example of how the company could take their high standards to work for more specialized medical fields. It is designed for use on the youngest of generations – the infants, the smallest patients a doctor could ever encounter.
What makes the Classic II Infant Stethoscope a veritable stand-out compared to other competing stethoscopes in the market is their patented head design, which allows a doctor to switch between low and high frequency sounds by quickly changing where pressure is applied on the chest piece. This dual-side design saves precious time that the pediatrician spends pressing on the young patient, who can easily get agitated in an instant.
The overall design of the Classic II Infant Stethoscope makes it a favored choice among a majority of serious professionals in the pediatric field. The sound quality comes from a proprietary diaphragm design, which allows a crisp and clear listening experience, whether the pediatrician is trying to pick up a heartbeat or any other body sound.
The Classic II Infant Stethoscope comes with high-quality tubing and soft-sealed ear pieces, both passing the rigid Littman standard. The company is clearly dedicated to ensuring a smooth and accurate experience for both the doctor and the patient; this is definitely seen in this pediatric stethoscope in particular.
Pros Of The 3M Littmann Classic II Infant Stethoscope
- Top-Of-The-Line Audio Quality – You certainly can’t go wrong with the Classic II Infant Stethoscope, in terms of the clarity and volume of body sounds you will be hearing through it. The overall design of the stethoscope works to cancel any outside noise, effectively increasing the quality of the body sounds you are listening to. The sound is clear and loud enough for a good number of pediatricians to listen even through infant clothes.
- Solid, Classic Design – Littman certainly upholds high standards, even in less impacting aspects such as build and design. The earpieces on the Classic II Infant Stethoscope are comfortable for most ears, and you don’t need to worry about the tubing (or any other part of the stethoscope, for that matter) failing on you at any moment.
- Designed For Pediatricians And Infants – Using a regular chest piece on an infant may result in you listening to too many sounds, that you wouldn’t be able to get an accurate reading. With the Classic II Infant Stethoscope, you are using a smaller chest piece, which allows you to zero in on the area that you wish to listen in on, without running the risk of listening to any other unnecessary sounds.
- Guaranteed 3-Year Warranty – The company is certainly confident about the products it makes, as seen through its long warranty period. Though their stethoscopes last a whole lot longer than three years, this warranty period is certainly long enough for any professional to observe any faults in the product that results in a replacement or a refund.
Cons Of The 3M Littmann Classic II Infant Stethoscope
- Tubing Color Concern – Half of the complaints regarding the Classic II Infant Stethoscope are about the color on the rubber tubing fading sooner than usual. In one particular case, the consumer complained that the tubing did not just lose color, but it also started to become uncomfortably sticky for some reason. This could definitely be avoided if the stethoscope was properly stowed and transported in the first place. With the proper care, you can be sure to have a consistent experience with this stethoscope over the years.
- Quality Comes At A Price – Quite simply, you are paying for the Littman brand. While this is a brand that has an unspoken guarantee of high-quality, you will certainly make a significant investment in acquiring their products. If you’re running on a budget, there are certainly other products in the market with just a slight difference in both build and audio quality.
In all honesty, there isn’t much to talk about regarding the deficiencies of the Classic II Infant Stethoscope. This is such a well-designed product which is meant for a vast number of pediatricians to experience the best there is in stethoscopes. Most of the complaints seen on Amazon come from customers who received factory defects in the mail, with only a couple of people complaining about sound quality. Even then, their issues were addressed accordingly – partially due to the warranty. Other concerns are mostly on the cosmetic side, with some people giving one less star only because they wished they bought a different color.
If you’re willing to spend extra in order to use one of the best stethoscopes in the business, then you definitely won’t go wrong with the Classic II Infant Stethoscope. The design and the audio quality this product delivers truly reflect the high standards of the Littman brand.